MALAYSIA: Carrefour tight-lipped over Malaysia "sale talks"
Carrefour operates 26 stores in Malaysia
Aeon, which operates around 29 stores in Malaysia, is understood to be in negotiations to buy Carrefour's 26 stores there, the Japanese Nikkei news agency reported today (26 October).
The deal, which is expected to be completed by next week, would make Aeon, Japan's number one supermarket operator. The sale would reportedly net Carrefour around JPY20bn (US$250.6m).
A spokesperson for Carrefour said it would not comment on the rumours.
The reports come two years after the French retailer cancelled plans to sell its Malaysian and Singapore divisions, after the auction did not attract bids that would have justified proceeding. Bidders at the time were thought to have included Aeon, Tesco and Hong Kong-based Dairy Farm International Holdings.
This August, Carrefour did confirm plans to exit Singapore with the closure of its two stores by the end of the year.
Carrefour CEO Georges Plassat wants the retailer to focus on fewer markets. Last week, Carrefour sold its stores in Colombia to Chile-based retailer Cencosud.
In July, Carrefour offloaded its Greek business and earlier this month there was speculation the retailer could combine its Turkish unit with local firm Migros Ticaret.
Being a long-established hypermarket in Indonesia, Carrefour is likely to continue its outlet expansion over the forecast period. By the end of review period, Carrefour started to extend its coverage ...
This is a detailed report covering Carrefour’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Belgium....
- BRICs and beyond: Fonterra, Beingmate partnership
- On the money: Mengniu hones in on "star" brands
- just-food interview: Agropur CEO Robert Coallier
- Consuming issues: The hunger-obesity paradox
- Comment: Competition to rise on whey investments
- Valio lactose-free trucks stopped at Russia border
- UK firm Pasta Reale enters administration
- H1 profits down at dairy group FrieslandCampina
- Mondelez eyes snacks categories in India
- Fonterra, Beingmate launch infant formula JV