MALAYSIA: Carrefour tight-lipped over Malaysia "sale talks"
Carrefour operates 26 stores in Malaysia
Aeon, which operates around 29 stores in Malaysia, is understood to be in negotiations to buy Carrefour's 26 stores there, the Japanese Nikkei news agency reported today (26 October).
The deal, which is expected to be completed by next week, would make Aeon, Japan's number one supermarket operator. The sale would reportedly net Carrefour around JPY20bn (US$250.6m).
A spokesperson for Carrefour said it would not comment on the rumours.
The reports come two years after the French retailer cancelled plans to sell its Malaysian and Singapore divisions, after the auction did not attract bids that would have justified proceeding. Bidders at the time were thought to have included Aeon, Tesco and Hong Kong-based Dairy Farm International Holdings.
This August, Carrefour did confirm plans to exit Singapore with the closure of its two stores by the end of the year.
Carrefour CEO Georges Plassat wants the retailer to focus on fewer markets. Last week, Carrefour sold its stores in Colombia to Chile-based retailer Cencosud.
In July, Carrefour offloaded its Greek business and earlier this month there was speculation the retailer could combine its Turkish unit with local firm Migros Ticaret.
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- UK Responsibility Deal must solve credibility gap
- Sweets & Snacks Expo: just-food's pick
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- JBS "seeking M&A" in Americas, Australia
- General Mills launches Greek yoghurt in Australia
- Dairy Crest earnings fall
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details