SINGAPORE: Carrefour to close Singapore stores
Carrefour will close its Suntec and Plaza Singapura stores
French retail giant Carrefour has said it will shut its two stores in Singapore by the end of the year.
The retailer said it will close its Suntec and Plaza Singapura stores since "expansion and growth perspectives do not allow reaching a leadership position in the medium and long term".
The decision comes two years after Carrefour cancelled plans to sell its Malaysian and Singapore divisions, after the auction did not attract bids that would have justified proceeding.
Carrefour sold its Thailand business to Casino subsidiary Big C for EUR868m (US$1.2bn) in November 2010.
More recently, the retailer pulled out of Greece in July in order to allow the stores "to meet the challenges of Greece's prevailing economic environment."
Today's news comes just two days before Carrefour releases its first-half results and CEO Georges Plassat unveils his recovery plan for the group.
Brazilian tycoon Abilio Diniz, the chairman of the CBD, the country's largest retailer, has been lined up for a seat on the board of local food group Brasil Foods....
Two Dutch supermarket chains have become the latest European retailers to pull frozen lasagnes from shelves amid concerns the lines could contain horse meat....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Global factors hold sway over UK milk prices
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Premier Foods hails "improving" sales trends
- PepsiCo rolls out "sweet" Cheetos
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report