FRANCE: Carrefour to drop some brands from shelves
Carrefour said it could not comment on reports in the French press that it is planning to drop certain leading brands from its product range in order to promote own-label goods.
A report in Le Figaro earlier this week claimed that the French retailing giant was poised to remove from its shelves a number of goods from top manufacturers, among them Henkel, Reckitt-Benkiser and Colgate-Palmolive.
"As is our policy, if we have something to say we will do so in an official statement," a company spokeswoman told just-food.com.
Another French supermarket group, Intermarché, is planning to reduce by 10% the range of food brands it sells, the report adds.
The backdrop to such moves is a recent change to the law in France which has ushered in greater price deregulation in the retail sector; While legislative reform is primarily designed to lower prices, it has also given producers scope to impose hikes in 2006 which has left retailers exasperated and threatening retaliatory action.
In the second part of this week's focus on the Australian food retail market, David Robertson looks at Woolworths' main rival, Coles Myer, which accounts for around 16% of all retail spending in Austr...
Buying power is often used by supermarkets to negotiate with their suppliers to get lower prices. These savings can then be passed onto the consumer in terms of price cuts and promotions. But do consu...
Carrefour of France is the top foreign retailer in China, measured by sales during the first half of the year, according to a Chinese Ministry of Commerce survey quoted by the Dow Jones news agency....
A judge in Buenos Aires province has imposed an embargo of more than 150m pesos (US$52.4m) on French retailer Carrefour in favour of provincial tax authorities, according to the Dow Jones news agency....
French based supermarket chain Carrefour has announced a rise in sales of 4.1% to €20.4m in the second quarter of 2005....
French supermarket chain plans to buy French low-cost supermarket Penny Market from Germany's Rewe, while selling catering supplies group Prodirest to transGourmet, a joint venture between Rewe and S...
French supermarket Carrefour has acquires 10 hypermarkets in the Sao Paulo area from Sonae, it said today (Thursday)....
US retailer Wal-Mart Stores Inc. plans to open 12 to 15 new stores in China this year according to the president of its international business, reports the Xinhua news agency....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016