FRANCE: Carrefour to renovate the Shopi convenience store network
French food retailing giant Carrefour has developed a new initiative to attract younger clientele. The group managed by Daniel Bernard, which grew around the concept of the hypermarket, has now begun targeting smaller shops. Two years ago Carrefour made its first move in this direction when it acquired a majority stake in Comptoirs Modernes (which runs supermarkets under the Stoc fascia). Léon Salto, who heads up Carrefour's French operation, explained that the group is also taking a look at its 'Huit à Huit' ('eight till eight') chain in a bid to revitalise its convenience store operations: "Today big brands and chains have changed, hoping to captivate a younger consumer with concept marketing. They are also successful because they are close by, easy to get to." After working on such new concepts in its city centre shops, which now boast express tills and a range of food-to-go, Shopi has decided to turn its attention to rural areas. These will be organised in a way that encourages both daily 'top-up' stops and weekly visits from customers, including a grocery and a drugstore. Some will open late in the evening in rural areas. Over five years, the group will overhaul some 600 stores at an average investment of FF1m. Revenue from the convenience stores reaches FF20bn a year, with FF10bn coming from the Shoppi format.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review