FRANCE: Casino 2013 profits up, "confident" on 2014
Casino said growth in Brazil, where it owns Pao de Acucar chain, was "very strong"
French retailer Casino today (18 February) reported a near-10% rise in underlying annual profits and expressed "confidence" in its growth prospects for 2014, helping its shares to recover recent lost ground.
The owner of France's Monoprix, Brazil's Pao de Acucar and Thailand's Big C booked a 9.7% increase in underlying net profit to EUR618m (US$848.5m) for 2013.
Casino's bottom line was helped by lower financial costs and a reduction in its tax rate.
However, the retailer's trading profit was up 18.1% at EUR2.363bn as its businesses in Latin America and Asia boosted its top line. Annual sales were up 15.9% at EUR48.6bn.
Sales in France were up 5.7% at EUR19.45bn, helped by a full contribution from convenience chain Monoprix. Casino took full control of Monoprix after buying out venture partner Galeries Lafayette for EUR1.18bn. However, on an organic basis, domestic sales, excluding fuel were down 3.6%.
Nonetheless, Casino said it was seeing improvement from its banners in France. Chairman and CEO Jean-Charles Naouri expressed an upbeat tone about Casino's prospects in 2014.
"The group's banners improved their positions in France and internationally. In 2014, the continued implementation of the strategy focusing on buoyant countries and formats, in combination with disciplined group management, gives us confidence in our prospects for growth and profitability," Naouri said.
Shares in Casino, which have fallen 2.7% so far in 2014, were up 4.14% at EUR81.58 at 14:10 CET.
Click here for just-food's On the money analysis of Casino's 2013 results.
This is a detailed report covering Groupe Casino’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Colombia....
This is a detailed report covering Groupe Casino’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Brazil....
Casino Guichard-Perrachon SA had already concentrated its activity on small formats, and it will continue this strategy with further investment in chains like Chez Jean or Le Marché à Côté. As for oth...
Over the forecast period, Casino Guichard-Perrachon aims to become the leading player in grocery retailing in Vietnam by continuously expanding its outlet network and expanding into new areas in many ...
The foodservice business represents a relatively small proportion of the group’s portfolio of activities and total revenue. While there is no clear strategic focus from the group concerning the foodse...
Agricultural Products in Brazil industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
Agricultural Products in France industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The profile...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details