RUSSIA: Caviar stocks seen down 60% this year
Environmental decline in the Caspian and Azov Sea basins, where most of Russia's caviar originates, and extensive poaching "had severely cut into stocks," according to Sergei Smirnov, a spokesman for Russia's Fisheries Committee. These developments will result in a decline this year of 60% in the volume of export of caviar from Russia, one of the world's largest producers of caviar. The State Fisheries Committee estimates, according to a report by CNN Food Center, that "no more than 44 tons of black caviar will be shipped out of the country this year, as fishermen harvested less than 440 tons of beluga and sturgeon in the Volga River this year." That was 176 short tons less than in 1999.The report said Interfax news agency quoted the Fisheries Committee deputy chairman, Vladimir Izmailov, as saying that the shortage would inevitably result "in drastic increase in world prices for black caviar." Russia is the second largest exporter of caviar, after Iran, according to Interfax.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review