BRAZIL: CBD withdraws from talks with Ahold over G Barbosa - report
Brazilian grocery retailer Companhia Brasileira de Distribuicao (CBD) is reported to have dropped out of the running to buy supermarket chain G Barbosa from Dutch retail giant Ahold.
CBD's president, Abilio Diniz, told a Brazilian newspaper that the company had withdrawn from talks with Ahold because the Dutch retailer wanted too high a price for the chain, reported Dow Jones International News.
Ahold has already sold one of its two Brazilian chains to US retail titan Wal-Mart as part of a move to divest a number of overseas assets in order to pay down debt. The Dutch retailer sold 120-store Bompreco to Wal-Mart back in March.
Brazilian competition authorities ruled that 32-store G Barbosa had to be sold separately to Bompreco as the two chains had too much market share in some parts of northeastern Brazil.
Wal-Mart Germany has cut prices of more than a thousand articles in its stores, some of them by over 20%....
Not content with pocketing one in every three pounds spent on groceries in the UK, the supermarket giant Tesco has now become the first British retailer to smash the £2 bn ($3.78bn) profit barrier. Ho...
Dutch retail giant Ahold today (Monday) announced it has successfully completed the sale of its remaining Brazilian operation, G. Barbosa Comercial Ltda....
US retail giant Wal-Mart Stores Inc, says it will open two outlets in Beijing this year, and at least one more store next year, according to an Asia Pulse report....
Overall US produce sales are soaring, but supermarkets are still losing market share to Wal-Mart, according to government figures....
UK supermarket Sainsbury grew faster than Wal-Mart's Asda in the twelve weeks to 27 March 2005, the first time that has happened for ten years, according to figures from market researchers TNS....
US retail giant Wal-Mart today (Thursday) said it expects sales growth for the first quarter, which runs to the end of April, to be at the low end of its predicted 3% to 5% range. ...
Wal-Mart's UK supermarket chain Asda has announced price cuts worth £100m (US$188m)....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report