UK: Celebrity chef triggers soaring demand for asparagus
Sales of asparagus are soaring, thanks to the endorsement of the TV celebrity chef Jamie Oliver, according to the Independent newspaper.
Asparagus sales in supermarket Sainsbury has risen by 290% following television adverts by Oliver, who signed a new £1m (US$1.83m) deal with Sainsbury in April.
Pack sales have risen from 700,000 to 1.4m. "Our asparagus [is] flying off the shelves," said Sainsbury's trading manager John Maylam. Rivals have also benefited from Oliver's endorsement - a phenomenon witnessed when Delia Smith plugged Maldon Sea Salt and cranberries in her cookbooks.
Buying power is often used by supermarkets to negotiate with their suppliers to get lower prices. These savings can then be passed onto the consumer in terms of price cuts and promotions. But do consu...
UK supermarket chain Sainsbury's is to sell kiwifruit grown in the UK next year, in what will be the first time a UK-grown version of the fruit has gone on sale here....
UK grocery retailer Wm Morrison Supermarkets has announced that it has agreed to sell nine Safeway stores to rival Sainsbury's....
UK supermarket chain Sainsbury's has announced that Roger Burnley will join Sainsbury's operating board as supply chain director, to replace Lawrence Christensen....
Supermarket chain Sainsbury has promised to spend more in Northern Ireland, according to the Belfast Telegraph newspaper....
Supermarket Sainsbury has reported a rise in total sales of 5.7% (5.3% excluding petrol) for the 12 weeks to 18 June 2005....
UK supermarket J Sainsbury plc today (Thursday) announced that Gwyn Burr has been appointed customer director on the company's operating board....
UK supermarket J Sainsbury plc has announced a sharp fall in profit for the year ended 26 March 2005, but said its recovery plan was on track....
- Does Kraft Heinz want to swallow Unilever whole?
- Focus: Nestle CEO plan to balance sales, earnings
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Will Kellogg's DSD exit help it grow in US snacks?
- Why Reckitt Benckiser moved for Mead Johnson
- Kraft Heinz pursuing Unilever in takeover move
- Kraft Heinz pulls Unilever bid
- General Mills issues profit warning
- Nestle plans restructuring as 2016 profit misses
- Kerry Group staff in Ireland suspend strike action