BRAZIL: Cencosud, Carrefour silent on takeover talk
Speculation mounts over Carrefour's future in Brazil
According to financial daily Diario Financiero, Cencosud owner Horst Paulmann met with Carrefour executives to discuss the possibility of acquiring some of the French group's activities in the Latin American market.
Through the potential acquisition, Cencosud would look to expand in Brazilian states where it is under represented, the report suggested citing sources familiar with the matter. The company has followed an acquisitive strategy to fuel growth in Brazil - acquiring local retailer Gbarbosa in 20007 and then taking over three further local retailers in 2010.
A spokesperson for Cencosud declined to comment on whether the company had been in contact with Carrefour. However, the spokesperson did confirm that the group has ambitions to "scale-up" its presence in Brazil and expand into "new geographies" in the country.
In May, reports had claimed that Carrefour was in talks to merge its Brazilian operations with local player CBD. However, this was subsequently denied by CBD.
Carrefour declined to comment on its plans for Brazil.
Faced with a third week of political protests that have stopped the Indian parliamentary process in its tracks, Finance Minister Pranab Mukherjee today (7 December) announced controversial reforms to ...
There would have been weary sighs in retail boardrooms this week after India's government suspended plans to open up its retail sector to more overseas investment. It was, Tesco CFO Laurie McIlwee cla...
India hit the industry headlines again this week after the country's government decided to suspend its plans to allow more foreign investment into the local retail sector. Meanwhile, here in the UK, P...
More overseas investment would benefit India's retail sector, Tesco CFO Laurie McIlwee insisted today (8 December)....
Sainsbury's intensified its promotional activity in November, according to the latest data from the just-food Promo Tracker....
- General Mills on Q1, innovation, margins
- Interview: Mondelez's outlook for China
- Aryzta FY results, outlook for 2017 - 6 takeaways
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- ConAgra acquires Frontera Foods' "gourmet" brands
- Nestle revamps foodservice arm
- Nestle launches Nesquik Protein Plus for adults
- Investors urge company action on meat production
- Nature’s Path takes majority stake in Gorilly Good
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Redefining Snacks: From Conventional Snacks to Snack Replacements
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review