UK: Charlie Bigham's pours US$4.1m into production facility
Charlie Bigham's has invested US4.1m in its production kitchen
UK ready meal manufacturer Charlie Bigham's is to invest GBP2.5m (US$4.1m) on upgrading its production facility in a bid to boost capacity and improve efficiency.
The investment is expected to increase Charlie Bigham's cooking capacity by around a third, a spokesperson for the firm told just-food. The spending will "help the brand get their posh ready meals to more people, while improving food quality and freshness."
The Charlie Bigham's brand has been enjoying year-on-year growth of almost 30%, with sales now over GBP20m.
While financial growth has seen the Charlie Bigham's team increase and more spent on retaining, developing and training employees, the investment "won't necessarily create more jobs at the company". the spokesperson said.
Charlie Bigham's was founded in 1996. Products include cottage pie, lasagne, fish pie, sweet and sour chicken and steak and mushroom pies and are available from retailers Waitrose and Ocado.
- M&A Watch: Why Danone/Lifeway deal could be next
- How City reacted to Tesco's profit over-statement
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top tweets
- ConAgra confident private-label will improve
- WhiteWave to buy dairy-free firm So Delicious
- Sales, operating profit up at Quorn Foods
- Arla: New Vigor deal to boost our Brazil presence
- Jobs to go at United Biscuits UK site
- General Mills plans to close two US plants