USA: Children and women of childbearing age in Washington warned off tuna and four other types of fish
For the first time, the Washington State Department of Health has issued a statewide fish advisory: children younger than six and women of childbearing age should avoid fresh tuna, shark, swordfish, tilefish and king mackerel. The advisory is the result of a scientific review into the safe levels of mercury in food. In Washington, the limits are about six times more restrictive than those set by the US Food and Drug Administration for the whole country, and fish is the highest source of methylmercury, a toxin that can harm the human nervous system. The fish become contaminated with mercury that exists naturally or is disposed of as industrial or household waste.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020