CHINA: China Resources Enterprise profits hit by food, retail arms
China Resources upbeat on 2014 as profit plunges
China Resources Enterprise Ltd has booked a steep drop in 2013 profits, which fell by 52% on weaker contributions from its retail and food manufacturing businesses.
The Hong Kong listed food, beverage and retail giant booked net profit for the 12 months to end-December of HK$1.91bn (US$246m), down from HK$3.95bn in 2012. Net profit from the group's retail business fell 65% due to higher labour costs. Net profit from the firm's food processing unit declined 84% on higher input costs.
These declines more than offset a 15% rise in profit from China Resources' beer division and a 23% rise in profit at its beverage arm.
China's leading supermarket operator said group sales rose 16% to HK$146.41bn in the period, up from HK$126.24bn.
Despite the weaker profits, China Resources was upbeat on the prospects for 2014.
The company emphasised that its joint venture agreement with UK retailer Tesco, expected to close in the first half of the year, will provide it with the tools to expand in China's retail sector. "The joint venture aims to become the leading multi-format retailer in Greater China, and targets faster growth and enhanced profitability," the company said.
Chen Lang, chairman, added that the group plans to "leverage economies of scale" to "enhance operational efficiency and strengthen our profitability as a whole".
Click here to view the full release from China Resources.
This is a detailed report covering Tesco’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Czech Republic....
This is a detailed report covering Tesco Kipa’s store formats, private labels, history, key employees, and key financial and operational metrics in Turkey....
Canadean's "Tesco Kipa Kitle Pazarlama Ticaret ve Gida Sanayi A.S. : Retailing - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis