CHINA: China Resources Enterprise silent over ParknShop "interest"
ParknShop claims to be the market leading food retailer in Hong Kong
China Resources Enterprise has remained tight-lipped over reports it is among retailers looking to place a bid for one of Hong Kong's leading supermarket chains ParknShop.
The retail chain was this month put under review by its parent, the retail-to-energy conglomerate Hutchison Whampoa. The firm said it was conducting a "strategic review" of ParknShop in order to "optimise value for shareholders".
Since then, China Resources Enterprise, the retail, food and beverage arm of China Resources Holdings, has become one of a number of companies reported to be considering a bid for the chain. Others include Japan's Aeon, Australian retailer Woolworths Ltd and China's Sun Art Retail.
The auction is also said to be generating interest from private-equity firms, Reuters noted.
China Resources Enterprise, however, told just-food it had "no comment on market rumour". Aeon could not be reached for comment. Woolworths and Sun Art did not return a request for comment at the time of going to press.
On revealing news of the review earlier this week, Hutchison Whampoa said it did not have a definite timetable for completion and therefore there could be "no assurances" the process will result in any transaction being announced or completed.
ParknShop claims to be the market leading food retailer in Hong Kong with a "significant" market position in Macau and south China. It operates 345 stores and had revenues of HK$21.7bn (US$2.80bn) in 2012.
A source told Bloomberg this week the supermarket chain could fetch $3bn to $4bn in a sale.
Fruit & vegetables in Asia-Pacific industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The prof...
Fruit & vegetables in Japan industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value and volume 2008-12, and forecast to 2017). The profile als...
Plimsoll Publishing’s SUPERMARKETS (Asia) Analysis provides a detailed overview of the SUPERMARKETS (Asia) market and delivers a comprehensive individual analysis on the top 1000 companies , including...
Woolworths Ltd CFO Tom Pockett is to step down as the Australian grocer's CFO in February....
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Why US diet guidelines should consider environment
- Emerging markets online: India's food retail scene
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Food industry news of week: Unilever, PepsiCo
- Tootsie Roll CEO Melvin Gordon dies at 95
- Chobani launches Tots infant range
- Monde Nissin "to acquire Menora"
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- Meat Substitutes Market - Global Trends, Forecasts up to 2019