US: Chiquita happy with Colombia terror case ruling
Chiquita Brands International has spoken of its satisfaction at the decision not to charge former and current executives over the company's protection payments to terrorist groups in Colombia.
Chiquita said the US Department of Justice has formally recommended that the District Court for the District of Columbia approve a settlement reached between the two sides in March.
Back in March, Chiquita agreed to pay a US$25m fine after admitting that it paid terrorist groups protection money in Colombia.
"Chiquita looks forward to putting this difficult chapter behind it," said chairman and CEO Fernando Aguirre. "We believe this is the right decision and one that reflects the good faith efforts of the company - and its officers, directors and employees - to address a very difficult situation involving the lives and safety of our employees."
The settlement was made after to an investigation into the banana company's dealings with right-wing paramilitary groups and leftist rebels in Colombia.
Companies: Chiquita Brands International
Chiquita Brands has signed deals with African countries for the export of up to 30% of its bananas to the company's core European markets....
Chiquita Brands International has reported rising annual sales - a reflection on the company's steps to transform the company, CEO Fernando Aguirre said....
Chiquita Brands International has reported a 6% increase in fourth-quarter net sales to US$1.2bn, and announced that it is considering refinancing options....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review