USA: Chiquita joins strong international opposition to European Commission proposed banana import regime
The following statement was issued today by Steven G. Warshaw, President and Chief Operating Officer of Chiquita Brands International, Inc. (NYSE: CQB), in response to the recently issued European Commission banana proposal:"The European Commission's 'first-come, first-serve' proposal does not conform with international trade law and therefore cannot be a legal basis to end the banana trade dispute. The proposal -- which would impose a 'simultaneous examination' licensing system similar to a license lottery -- would perpetuate, and indeed accentuate, the discrimination existing in the current regime. As such, the scheme would fail to bring the European Union into compliance with rulings issued since 1993 by seven international panels convened by the GATT and WTO."The United States, Panama, Costa Rica, Colombia, Guatemala, Honduras, Nicaragua, and ACP banana-producing countries in the Caribbean and Africa, as well as numerous European member states and companies, have voiced opposition to the Commission's illegal scheme. They are asking the Commission to abandon this proposal in favor of a WTO-compatible program based on a tariff quota that recognizes historic trade flows for Latin American, Caribbean and African banana imports to Europe."Chiquita is a leading international marketer, producer and distributor of quality fresh fruits and vegetables and processed foods.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- Farmers' groups slam Danone over non-GMO stance
- Kraft Heinz: Innovation more important than ever
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review