US: Chiquita shares plummet on gloomy outlook
Shares in Chiquita Brands International slumped more than 24% yesterday (16 June) after the fruit group predicted a "significant loss" for the third quarter.
Chiquita said supply constraints for bananas and escalating commodity costs would dent results. While the company said it had raised the price of bananas, volumes "remain flat to down". This means that the group has been unable to offset increased costs.
Chiquita, which also sells fresh-packed salads, raised its estimate for product supply costs for fiscal 2008 by between US$60m and $65m - bringing its full-year total to $240-265m.
"We expect these factors to result in a difficult third quarter . . . and a more normal fourth quarter," Chiquita Chairman and Chief Executive Fernando Aguirre said.
Shares in the company sank from an open to $21.93 to close yesterday at $16.65.
The UK's Ethical Trading Initiative (ETI) marked its tenth birthday last week with a major conference in London. A multi-stakeholder initiative aimed at improving labour standards in supply chains, ET...
Dole Food has reached an agreement with the European Commission that will see it pay a EUR45.6m (US$58.4m) fine in instalments for its role in a price-fixing cartel....
Chiquita Brands International said today (9 December) that it successfully raised local banana price increases across all the markets it operates in during October and November in order to offset high...
Chiquita Brands International yesterday (30 October) posted an improved third-quarter performance, boosted by strong banana sales, a gain from the repurchase of senior notes and pricing initiatives....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Online snack seller Graze makes US retail debut
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review