AUS: Chobani eyes Asia for export opportunities
A spokesperson for Chobani told just-food the company sees “great potential for growth” in Asia
US yoghurt producer Chobani has said it is looking at driving its presence across Asia with the expansion of its plant in Australia.
The Greek yoghurt firm has trebled production capacity at a plant in Victoria it attained when it acquired local dairy firm Bead Foods last year. The site in Dandenong South can now produce around 30,000 tonnes of yoghurt per year.
A spokesperson for Chobani told just-food the company sees "great potential for growth" in Asia and "looks forward" to expanding its range of yoghurts into the continent.
Chobani exports its Gippsland Dairy Twist and namesake Chobani yoghurt range into a number of markets across Asia.
The spokesperson added: "We have just completed our Australian plant, and with the increase in capacity to over 30,000 tonnes of yoghurt per annum, we are in an ideal position to look at expanding our export range."
The spokesperson did not give any further details on which brands might be included but said the company sees an opportunity to offer "high-quality, great tasting yoghurt options right throughout Asia". She listed Chobani Greek Yoghurt, Gippsland Twist, its range of organic yoghurts and its speciality cream products as potential products for export across Asia.
The revamped facility has created 50 jobs in the last year, with a further 150 expected to be created over the next three years as it reaches full capacity.
In September, Chobani said it was considering launching its yoghurt range into other European markets following a launch into the UK market that month.
General Mills, which has struggled to grow its US yoghurt brands, said yesterday (30 May) it would look to marketing and innovation to revitalise sales in the increasingly promotional category....
This week saw just-food speak with a number of company executives including the chief marketing officer of Burton's Biscuit Co. about the firm's plans and Vigor CEO Gilberto Xandó about the Brazilian ...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Why Quorn Foods auction promises to be competitive
- Indonesia: the key macro issues facing FMCG firms
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015