UK: Chobani to take Greek yoghurt case to Supreme Court
Chobani says it is committed to break the monopoly Fage has over Greek yoghurt and will re-appeal
US-based yoghurt firm Chobani has vowed to take its battle over the term 'Greek' yoghurt in the UK to the country's Supreme Court.
The UK Court of Appeal upheld a judgement made last March that ruled 'Greek yoghurt' had to be made in Greece.
Total yoghurt owner Fage had claimed Chobani's product could not be labelled 'Greek' as it was made in the US.
Speaking to just-food yesterday (30 January), a spokesperson for Chobani said the company was disappointed with the result. However, the spokesperson added: "The fight is not over."
Chobani's yoghurt is strained a number of times to give it a thicker texture, which the firm has said is typical of a style found in Greece.
"Chobani is appealing to the Supreme Court, because we remain of the view that the population of the UK know and understand Greek yoghurt to be a product description regardless of where it is made. We remain committed to the UK market and to breaking the monopoly on the use of the term Greek Yoghurt enjoyed by Fage."
Danone was also forced by Fage to re-label its yoghurt Danio as a "strained yoghurt" following an interim court injunction. According to reports, Fage has dropped legal proceedings against Danone. No one at Danone was immediately available for comment.
Since launching in the UK in 2012, Chobani, the number one Greek yoghurt manufacturer in the US, has faced problems. It "temporarily" withdrew products from UK shelves last November, claiming it wanted to relaunch the products using locally-sourced ingredients.
Danone SA - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offerings and ...
MarketLine's Company Mergers & Acquisitions (M&A), Partnerships & Alliances and Investments reports offer a comprehensive breakdown of the organic and inorganic growth activity undertaken by an organi...
Danone is the fourth largest health and wellness player, and while its core market is Western Europe it is concentrating ever more on emerging markets, in particular Asia Pacific and Latin America. Da...
Danone’s streamlined dairy and baby food portfolio is well in tune with key growth-driving trends in packaged food, including wellness and snacking. It has put a twin strategy in place to address the ...
- USDA's GMO move may block mandatory labels
- Premier Foods to push on with range revamp
- Why FMCG background key for next Thorntons CEO
- just-food's pick: Products on show at SIAL China
- Focus: Why Dairy Crest needs to offload dairies
- Unilever CFO Jean-Marc Huet stands down
- Kerry adds to Mattessons' adult snacking range
- Premier Foods sees FY profits fall
- Mars launches "healthy" snacks Goodnessknows
- Mondelez to cut jobs at Chicago site
- ALDI 2015: Radically transforming Anglo Saxon grocery markets
- Pizza Delivery & Takeaway in the UK - Industry Market Research Report
- Mars Inc in Packaged Food (World)
- Chocolate Flavors Market by Application & Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2019
- Global Database of the Top 1000 Chocolate and Confectionery Producers - Company Names, Financial Performance, and Contact Details