SOUTH AFRICA/ITALY: Cirio stoops to conquer Del Monte
Italian food multinational Cirio is poised for to take 100% control of Del Monte Royal Holdings , the South African fruit and vegetable company and is ready to pay Lit430bn for the shares still controlled by South African interests. The reports on Cirio's willingness and ability to buy the remaining shares (Cirio has already bought 70% of Del Monte shares) is pushing the value of Cirio's shares on the stock exchange. They gained 4% (up to €0.23) at the close of markets Friday, 17 September 2000 after heavy trading (9.5 million shares changes hands compared to the daily average of 2.2 million shares).Analysts say the Cirio-Del Monte saga is at its final act after approval by the South African Stock Exchange for Cirio's offer to buy the remaining stocks. Cirio will pay Lit240bn for Del Monte's floating stocks and Lit190bn to Vivien Imerman, the South African entrepreneur who still owns 24% of the shares of Del Monte. Cirio says it has already raised that sum through recent Eurobonds.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review