UK: CJD deaths linked to Leicestershire village
A Leicestershire village is the subject of a major investigation after three deaths within 12 weeks from the deadly human form of mad cow disease have been linked to the village. According to local health officials all three deaths have been linked to the village of Queniborough and according toJunior Health Minister Lord Hunt the cases are unlikely to be a statistical quirk.Lord Hunt also confirmed there had been four definite cases and a probable case of the new variant of Creutzfeldt-Jacob Disease (vCJD) in the county.Support Groups for CJD victims have welcomed the investigation that will include officials from the National CJD Surveillance Unit who will work closely with the Department of Health and the Ministry of Agriculture to determine if people in the area are more susceptible to the disease.In 1997, seven people in Kent died of CJD and vCJD, near to where the UK's first BSE herd was discovered in 1985 and the most recent statistics by the Department of Health show there have now been 74 victims of vCJD.Two deaths have also been confirmed in France and one in Ireland.Mentally and degenerative, symptoms of CJD are slurred speech, depression, blurred vision and eventually loss of limb control over the entire body and, as yet CJD cannot be cured.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016