UK: Cloetta and Kellogg's slam "sneaky" marketing allegations
Kellogg has used marketing of its Krave product in a "sneaky" way it has been alleged
A Channel 4 Dispatches programme, Tricks of the Junk Food Business, which aired in the UK yesterday (2 June) aimed to expose how firms used social media marketing to get round strict TV broadcasting rules on advertising junk foods.
Cloetta came under fire for its Facebook interactions and its online animated ads, as did Kellogg for the plugging of its Krave cereal to a fictional ten-year old on Facebook.
In an e-mail to just-food today (3 June), a spokesperson for Kellogg said the Facebook interaction with the fictional minor was ended prior to Dispatches getting in touch.
"The fact is, Krave doesn't interact with anyone under the age of 17 on Facebook and we have a tried and tested age gating method in place to prevent that happening. As soon as we noticed the age mentioned in the posts (and before Dispatches got in contact with us) we blocked the person from the Krave page, sent a note to the user explaining our actions and reported it to Facebook for their own protection. We hope people we agree with us, that these are the actions of a responsible company."
A spokesperson for Cloetta said the Chewits brand was positioned "entirely as an occasional treat for consumption in small amounts and never as a meal replacement".
"Based on a portion size of between three to five sweets, meaning less than 10g of sugar per portion, Cloetta does not believe that Chewits should be classified as 'junk food' and that the Dispatches programme failed to explain their criteria for using this label at any time," said the firm.
Equally it added "all Chewits marketing programmes are in line with the ASA guidelines".
"We do not believe we have been "sneaky" at any time and we remain committed to transparency to allow consumers to make their own decisions about what products they buy and consume," they added.
Kellogg Company - Strategy and SWOT Report, is a source of comprehensive company data and information. The report covers the company’s structure, operation, SWOT analysis, product and service offering...
Synopsis Canadean's "Cloetta AB - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, major products and s...
Canadean's "Kellogg Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a ...
After the integration in 2012 of acquired company Leaf, Cloetta AB has worked with cost savings and efficiency in order to reach synergies. One production plant in Denmark was closed down and another ...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Unilever must "speed" response to consumer trends
- just-food's pick: Natural Products Expo top 10
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Future of Retailing in the UK to 2017
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits