SWEDEN: Cloetta Fazer posts lower H1 profits
Cloetta Fazer, the Nordic confectionery group, has posted a drop in first-half profits as price increases failed to offset rising commodity costs.
Operating profit amounted to SEK54m (US$8.5m) excluding a goodwill impairment charge of SEK90m linked to the upcoming demerger of the company. Last year, first-half operating profit stood at SEK112m.
The goodwill charge has been incurred as Cloetta, the Swedish half of the business, will see lower sales due to the break-up with Finnish confectioner Fazer.
Sales for the period, however, rose by 9% to SEK1.5m as a result of acquisitions and volume growth.
"Like the first quarter, the second quarter of 2008 was characterised by lower gross margins resulting from increased raw material costs and higher selling and marketing expenses," said CEO Jesper Åberg.
"The implemented price increases have not been sufficient to offset higher raw material costs, which has impacted gross margins and contributed to the year's weak earnings trend."
Cloetta, the Nordic confectioner, posted net sales of SEK457m (US$55.4m) for the first quarter, following its separation from Fazer Confectionery....
Fazer Konfektyr Service, the Swedish confectionery unit of Fazer Group, has announced that it will delist its shares from the Stockholm stock exchange....
Cloetta Fazer, the Nordic confectioner that is set to demerge, has announced the formal adoption of a change of name for part of the business....
The demerger of Cloetta Fazer has entered its final stages with Finnish group Fazer announcing its offer to shareholders in the Nordic confectioner....
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Thailand: convenience to continue to thrive
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: Some Foods on rise of low-FODMAP market
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Unilever in continuing price spat with Musgrave
- China milk powder arrests prompt Fonterra "review"
- Hochdorf expands in Africa with Pharmalys buy
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review