UK: Co-op deli food recalled after E-coli outbreak in Greater Manchester
There have been five confirmed cases of E-coli poisoning and four more 'probable' cases in Greater Manchester recently, and whilst no source of infection has been identified the only apparent link is the Co-op Superstore. Five adults and four children ate food bought from the shop on London Road, Hazel Grove, three of the nine are in hospital and the other six, including two children, are ill at home after the outbreak.Stockport Health Authority said five cases were confirmed and the other four were 'probable'. They include three adults and two children from the same family, two children from another family and two unrelated adults.To date no source of the E-coli infection has been positively identified. However, the only apparent link between the individuals and families concerned is that they purchased food from the delicatessen counter during a short period in June.'The Co-op Superstore has co-operated fully with all investigations and their decision to re-call food sold from the delicatessen counter between 1 June and 16 June and has been taken as a precautionary measure.'United Norwest Co-op issued a statement saying the deli was among a number of possible sources for the infection being investigated by environmental health officials. It stated: 'As a responsible retailer, the Co-op has issued the product recall notice as part of a prudent approach to the matter,' it added.Products recalled include bacon, cold meats, pies, pates and salads. A freephone helpline has been set up on 0800 328 378 for anybody requiring additional information.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review