UK: Co-operative sees Christmas sales gains
The Co-op sees strongest growth in convenience
The Co-operative Group has booked a 2.4% increase in sales at its food retail business over Christmas, driven by like-for-like gains and higher growth at its convenience outlets.
The company said in the three weeks ending 5 January like-for-like sales rose 2.2%. Comparable revenue at its convenience stores rose 5.5%, growth the company attributed to targeted promotions and its new advertising campaign.
The Co-operative Group chief executive Peter Marks said: "These results represent a really encouraging and resilient performance in some of the most testing trading conditions for 40 years."
Marks emphasised that the numbers "helped sustain the positive sales momentum" the group has witnessed in the second-half of the year.
"While conditions remain very challenging, we now enter 2013 in a position where we expect to make continued progress."
Fonterra is ranked in the top 20 among dairy players. However, this is due for the most part to its strong presence in Australasia. The company is looking to diversify, investing in a China-based dair...
Dairy in Philippines industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descrip...
The GM debate has re-emerged in the UK in the last couple of weeks with the news four major supermarket operators will allow their suppliers to use GM feed for poultry and eggs....
Dairy in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descripti...
- On the move: What's in store from Tesco's new CEO?
- Focus: Lindt plays safe with Russell Stover buy
- On the money: Steady as she goes at Cloetta
- just the answer: Birds Eye UK Margaret Jobling
- Comment: ConAgra failing to address core issues
- Ferrero seals deal for hazelnut firm Oltan
- Campbell issues warning on 2014/15 fiscal year
- Premier launches Oxo pots range in UK
- UPDATE: Premier establishes international unit
- Genius secures listings in French supermarkets