UK: Co-operative to close six stores
The stores are expected to close next month
UK retailer The Co-operative Group has confirmed plans to close six stores.
A spokesperson for the retailer did not give details of the location of the stores but told just-food: "At any one time, given the size of the business, we are going to have stores that are closing."
The stores are expected to close next month and are reported to be affecting around 145 employees.
In August, the retailer reported that falling sales in a "tough" market had hit profits from its food arm.
Operating profit from The Co-op's food business was GBP119m (US$188.8m) in the half year to 30 June, down from GBP142m a year earlier. The Co-op pointed to "continued investment" in prices, its stores and supply chain.
Earlier in the year, the retailer had announced plans to cut hundreds of back-office roles in a bid to increase profits from its food business.
Fonterra is ranked in the top 20 among dairy players. However, this is due for the most part to its strong presence in Australasia. The company is looking to diversify, investing in a China-based dair...
Dairy in Philippines industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2007-11, and forecast to 2016). The profile also contains descrip...
The GM debate has re-emerged in the UK in the last couple of weeks with the news four major supermarket operators will allow their suppliers to use GM feed for poultry and eggs....
- BRICs: The thinking behind Mondelez's Vietnam deal
- Interview part 1: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Comment: Why Gardein is Pinnacle's ideal fodder
- Deal or no deal: Should Danone buy Mead Johnson?
- Focus: Can BRF deliver aggressive growth?
- Kellogg trumps Abraaj bid for Bisco Misr
- Raisio buys UK, Ireland and Belgium Benecol ops
- Danone, General Mills, Chobani "mislead parents"
- Wrigley opposes Perfetti Van Melle "WTF" TM
- Dutch confirm second bird flu outbreak
- Early Signals: future scenarios that will drive consumption and product innovation over the next five years
- Dairy Product Production in China
- Energy Bars Market in Canada: Market Profile to 2017
- The Snackification of Breakfast
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report