AUS: Coles launches fresh wave of price cuts
Coles unveils fresh price offensive
Australian supermarket group Coles has unveiled a fresh round of price cuts as part of its Down Down campaign.
The move, which places further emphasis on price in the highly competitive Australian market, comes as Coles looks to win market share from its larger competitor Woolworths ltd and build sales of its higher-margin own brand products.
The company said yesterday (9 January) that it will be reducing the price of "more than 100" grocery items in the "biggest round" of price cuts since its Drive Down campaign began.
Coles will be reducing the price of own label everyday products such as bread, chilled fruit juice, dairy spreads and cheeses, frozen foods and cooking oils.
The company said that the move follows Coles-sponsored research highlighting that 65% of families are looking to make "more savings" in their household budget in 2013 than 2012.
"Customers have told us that they expect 2013 to be a tough year for family finances and that's why we have acted early to help them save," Coles merchandise director John Durkan said.
The plight of Australian supplier Spring Gully Foods, which is in administration, has again shone the spotlight on the country's grocery sector, of which two retailers enjoy a combined market share of...
Coles, Australia's second-largest grocer, has paid fines totalling more than A$60,000 for alleged misleading country-of-origin claims....
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- German dairy DMK to pursue cost-cutting plans
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights