AUS: Coles launches fresh wave of price cuts
Coles unveils fresh price offensive
Australian supermarket group Coles has unveiled a fresh round of price cuts as part of its Down Down campaign.
The move, which places further emphasis on price in the highly competitive Australian market, comes as Coles looks to win market share from its larger competitor Woolworths ltd and build sales of its higher-margin own brand products.
The company said yesterday (9 January) that it will be reducing the price of "more than 100" grocery items in the "biggest round" of price cuts since its Drive Down campaign began.
Coles will be reducing the price of own label everyday products such as bread, chilled fruit juice, dairy spreads and cheeses, frozen foods and cooking oils.
The company said that the move follows Coles-sponsored research highlighting that 65% of families are looking to make "more savings" in their household budget in 2013 than 2012.
"Customers have told us that they expect 2013 to be a tough year for family finances and that's why we have acted early to help them save," Coles merchandise director John Durkan said.
The plight of Australian supplier Spring Gully Foods, which is in administration, has again shone the spotlight on the country's grocery sector, of which two retailers enjoy a combined market share of...
Coles, Australia's second-largest grocer, has paid fines totalling more than A$60,000 for alleged misleading country-of-origin claims....
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Food marketing firmly on UK political agenda
- E-commerce: Online could offer growth in Russia
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Campbell aligns structure with growth objectives
- Mead Johnson offsets China slowdown
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report