AUS: Coles launches fresh wave of price cuts
Coles unveils fresh price offensive
Australian supermarket group Coles has unveiled a fresh round of price cuts as part of its Down Down campaign.
The move, which places further emphasis on price in the highly competitive Australian market, comes as Coles looks to win market share from its larger competitor Woolworths ltd and build sales of its higher-margin own brand products.
The company said yesterday (9 January) that it will be reducing the price of "more than 100" grocery items in the "biggest round" of price cuts since its Drive Down campaign began.
Coles will be reducing the price of own label everyday products such as bread, chilled fruit juice, dairy spreads and cheeses, frozen foods and cooking oils.
The company said that the move follows Coles-sponsored research highlighting that 65% of families are looking to make "more savings" in their household budget in 2013 than 2012.
"Customers have told us that they expect 2013 to be a tough year for family finances and that's why we have acted early to help them save," Coles merchandise director John Durkan said.
The plight of Australian supplier Spring Gully Foods, which is in administration, has again shone the spotlight on the country's grocery sector, of which two retailers enjoy a combined market share of...
Coles, Australia's second-largest grocer, has paid fines totalling more than A$60,000 for alleged misleading country-of-origin claims....
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019