AUS: Coles notes shortcomings in milk-price claims
The ACCC rapped Coles over its Coles brand milk story video
Coles has admitted its part in a milk campaign criticised by the Australian competition watchdog customers but insisted the "key message" behind the push was "correct".
The food retailer was reprimanded by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) for its "our Coles brand milk story", published as part of a social media campaign run between February and May last year - a period of "intense public debate about the impact of A$1 (US$0.93) milk on Australian dairy farmers who supplied the product", the watchdog said.
The campaign claimed Coles would absorb the profit loss and pay out a higher share to farmers. The ACCC's investigation followed complaints from dairy farmers about representations in the cartoon and video about the impact of Coles' move to cut prices in 2011.
"Coles represented in a video and cartoon on social media that the farmgate milk price increased from 86 cents per two-litre bottle of Coles-brand milk in 2010-11 to around 90 cents in 2011-12, when in fact this was an estimate and final industry figures showed the 2011-12 farmgate milk price actually decreased to 84 cents," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.
In correspondence to just-food yesterday (8 April), a spokesperson for Coles said: "Importantly the key message in the video was correct: Coles funded at least the majority of the price cuts on Coles brand milk".
However, Coles noted the ACCC's concerns the campaign may have misled its customers into buying Coles brand milk.
"We acknowledge we could have done more to validate some of the statements made. That's why we have signed the undertaking," said the spokesperson.
2007-2010 was a period of rapid growth and acquisitions for Australian United Retailers Limited, so much so that the company found it hard to adjust. Its appetite for growth over the forecast period w...
Drinking milk products is growing by 4% in current value terms in 2013 up from the 3% growth experienced in 2012. Most of this growth is coming from categories outside of the mainstay of cow’s milk, t...
Introduction Food Retail in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p......
Canadean's "Sino Grandness Food Industry Group Ltd - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, m...
- Premier Foods CEO expects UK supermarket rebound
- Why Post is increasing its exposure to cereal
- Lacklustre sales see Hershey turn to snacking
- Comment: Tread carefully over payment terms
- Briefing: The risks and rewards of e-tail in China
- Post Holdings strikes deal to acquire MOM Brands
- Hershey to acquire meat jerky firm Krave
- Up & Go breakfast drinks set for UK launch
- Hershey linked to takeover of jerky maker Krave
- Crisp maker Sibell acquires Spain's Celigueta
- 10 Key Trends in Food, Health and Nutrition 2015
- Unilever - Strategy and SWOT Report
- The Sugar Backlash and its Effects on Global Consumer Markets
- Global Consumer Trend Framework: Understanding Attitudes and Behaviors that Influence Global Consumption Habits
- PepsiCo, Inc. : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Report