AUS: Coles notes shortcomings in milk-price claims
The ACCC rapped Coles over its Coles brand milk story video
Coles has admitted its part in a milk campaign criticised by the Australian competition watchdog customers but insisted the "key message" behind the push was "correct".
The food retailer was reprimanded by the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission (ACCC) for its "our Coles brand milk story", published as part of a social media campaign run between February and May last year - a period of "intense public debate about the impact of A$1 (US$0.93) milk on Australian dairy farmers who supplied the product", the watchdog said.
The campaign claimed Coles would absorb the profit loss and pay out a higher share to farmers. The ACCC's investigation followed complaints from dairy farmers about representations in the cartoon and video about the impact of Coles' move to cut prices in 2011.
"Coles represented in a video and cartoon on social media that the farmgate milk price increased from 86 cents per two-litre bottle of Coles-brand milk in 2010-11 to around 90 cents in 2011-12, when in fact this was an estimate and final industry figures showed the 2011-12 farmgate milk price actually decreased to 84 cents," ACCC chairman Rod Sims said.
In correspondence to just-food yesterday (8 April), a spokesperson for Coles said: "Importantly the key message in the video was correct: Coles funded at least the majority of the price cuts on Coles brand milk".
However, Coles noted the ACCC's concerns the campaign may have misled its customers into buying Coles brand milk.
"We acknowledge we could have done more to validate some of the statements made. That's why we have signed the undertaking," said the spokesperson.
Introduction Food Retail in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p......
Canadean's "Sino Grandness Food Industry Group Ltd - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, m...
Consumer foodservice through retail recorded the strongest current value growth of 3% in 2013 among the major categories. This was largely driven by the emergence of foodservice outlets based in super...
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Australian Dairy Food sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities ...
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Soda draws fire from food in Mexico obesity battle
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Why Flowers Foods organic bread deal is a killer
- Mondelez CEO Rosenfeld defends moves on costs
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- Ajinomoto "eyes acquisitions in Europe"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Hearthside to buy nutrition bar maker VSI
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Chocolate and Chocolate Candy Manufacturing Industry (U.S.): Analytics, Extensive Financial Benchmarks, Metrics and Revenue Forecasts to 2022
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report