AUSTRALIA: Coles on defensive over supplier relationships
Coles denies unfair supplier terms
Coles has dismissed claims it abused its relationship with suppliers through a programme requiring the payment of rebates - although the Australian retailer has made a number of "admissions" over its treatment of manufacturers.
Australia's number two grocer "categorically rejected" allegations from the country's competition authorities over the programme, which it called Active Retail Collaboration.
Under the scheme, Coles required suppliers to pay rebates in exchange for "collaborative planning and greater data sharing".
"The expected benefits to suppliers included reduced production costs, reduced waste, reduced safety stock holdings, lower administration costs and reduced transport costs," a spokesperson for Coles said. "At all times Coles believed it had a legitimate basis for seeking the payment of a rebate."
Coles stressed participation in the scheme was "at all times voluntary". Of the 200 suppliers invited to take part in the programme, 32 declined to take part. "Coles continues a trading relationship with each of those suppliers," the spokesperson said.
However, in a defence document filed in response to unconscionable conduct allegations from the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission at Australia's Federal Court, Coles conceded it used a number of pressure tactics to get suppliers to sign up to the code.
These included the use of formal scripts to sell the benefits of the new programme and "escalating" recalcitrant suppliers up the Coles management chain when suppliers resisted.
Sectors: Baby food, Bakery, Canned food, Cereal, Chilled foods, Condiments, dressings & sauces, Confectionery, Dairy, Dried foods, Fresh produce, Frozen, Ice cream, Meat & poultry, Natural & organic, Private label, Retail, Seafood, Snacks, World foods
Introduction Food Retail in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p......
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Australian Dairy Food sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities ...
Canadean's "Sino Grandness Food Industry Group Ltd - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, m...
Consumer foodservice through retail recorded the strongest current value growth of 3% in 2013 among the major categories. This was largely driven by the emergence of foodservice outlets based in super...
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- China implements new safety regulations
- BRF to buy certain Molinos Rio de la Plata brands
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- Chilled Processed Food Packaging in the United Kingdom