AUS: Coles sales slow in Q3
Coles sales rise 3.9% in Q3
Wesfarmers booked a near-4% rise in third-quarter sales at its Coles supermarket business but shares slipped as revenue growth slowed in the period.
Coles third-quarter sales rose 3.9% to A$6.7bn (US$6.2bn) in the three months to end-March. Comparable sales were up 3.5% after adjusting for the inclusion of New Year's Eve and Easter in the year-ago result.
However, this expansion represents a slowdown from previous quarters with year-to-date sales growth standing at 4.7% from its grocery business. Shares in the Australian conglomerate closed down 2% at $43.01 on the ASX.
Outgoing Coles MD Ian McLeod emphasised the consistency of the firm's top line performance. "This represents a continuation of Coles' strong performance following five years of positive comparable sales growth. Record supermarket sales per square metre, over 20m customer transactions a week and continued growth in underlying volumes and basket size were all achieved in the quarter," he said.
Click here to view the full financial update from Wesfarmers.
Introduction Food Retail in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p......
Canadean's "Sino Grandness Food Industry Group Ltd - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, m...
Consumer foodservice through retail recorded the strongest current value growth of 3% in 2013 among the major categories. This was largely driven by the emergence of foodservice outlets based in super...
This report brings together consumer insight and market data to provide a comprehensive brief of the Australian Dairy Food sector. This allows for the rapid identification of key growth opportunities ...
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Fonterra's full-year results – 10 things to learn
- Trans fat studies show complexity of health debate
- Indonesia - Sweet and sour of confectionery sector
- ConAgra suggests there is life in old brands yet
- Quorn Foods agrees sale to Monde Nissin
- Danone, Kerry, Pulmuone also eyeing Quorn
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- ConAgra Foods "efficiency" drive to hit 1,500 jobs
- Mars to buy Mexican chocolate maker Grupo Turin
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: News and Events July 2015