AUS: Coles sales slow in Q3
Coles sales rise 3.9% in Q3
Wesfarmers booked a near-4% rise in third-quarter sales at its Coles supermarket business but shares slipped as revenue growth slowed in the period.
Coles third-quarter sales rose 3.9% to A$6.7bn (US$6.2bn) in the three months to end-March. Comparable sales were up 3.5% after adjusting for the inclusion of New Year's Eve and Easter in the year-ago result.
However, this expansion represents a slowdown from previous quarters with year-to-date sales growth standing at 4.7% from its grocery business. Shares in the Australian conglomerate closed down 2% at $43.01 on the ASX.
Outgoing Coles MD Ian McLeod emphasised the consistency of the firm's top line performance. "This represents a continuation of Coles' strong performance following five years of positive comparable sales growth. Record supermarket sales per square metre, over 20m customer transactions a week and continued growth in underlying volumes and basket size were all achieved in the quarter," he said.
Click here to view the full financial update from Wesfarmers.
2007-2010 was a period of rapid growth and acquisitions for Australian United Retailers Limited, so much so that the company found it hard to adjust. Its appetite for growth over the forecast period w...
Drinking milk products is growing by 4% in current value terms in 2013 up from the 3% growth experienced in 2012. Most of this growth is coming from categories outside of the mainstay of cow’s milk, t...
Introduction Food Retail in Australia industry profile provides top-line qualitative and quantitative summary information including: market size (value 2009-13, and forecast to 2018). The p......
Canadean's "Sino Grandness Food Industry Group Ltd - Company Capsule" contains in depth information and data about the company and its operations. The profile contains a company overview, key facts, m...
- Analysis: Is Heinz, Kraft merger "a growth story"?
- M&A Watch: Who could be on 3G Capital's radar?
- The challenges awaiting ConAgra's new CEO
- Viewpoint: Faber-led Danone gets realistic
- Focus: Can Mars gain share in Indian chocolate?
- UPDATE: Heinz, Kraft strike merger agreement
- Fatal explosion at French desserts firm Senagral
- Kraft "in buyout talks" with Heinz owner 3G
- Infographic: Heinz, Kraft unveil combined business
- Buffett: Kraft Heinz to withstand health focus