BELGIUM: Colruyt outlines 2010 expansion plans
Colruyt to open stores in Belgium and France this year
Belgian retailer Colruyt has outlined plans to open stores at home and in France this year.
The company told just-food today (29 March) that it is looking to open 17 outlets in Belgium and ten stores in France in 2010.
A spokesman for Colruyt said the Belgian openings would be spread across the retailer's namesake supermarkets, its Okay corner shops and Dreamland toy stores.
French retailer Carrefour is seeing its business in Belgium suffer from worker unrest and industry watchers have argued the country's domestic retailers, like Colruyt, would benefit from shoppers looking elsewhere.
The Colruyt spokesman said Carrefour had seen strike action hit its business this weekend. However, he played down the positive impact on Colruyt's stores, arguing the protests had "no big influence" on long-term shopper numbers.
With its all-new Carrefour Planet hypermarket chain and with a target of 18% sales growth in five years, the French retail giant is clearly reaching for the stars. But will the French retail giant suc...
Thai energy company PTT has told the Thai Stock Exchange that it has dropped out of the bidding for grocery retailer Carrefour's Asian assets....
French cooked meats firm Les Etablissements Jean Brient, which supplies charcuterie products to supermarket chains like Carrefour, Leclerc and Casino, has been snapped up for an undisclosed sum....
Hershey, the US chocolate giant, felt the full force of the NGO spotlight this week amid criticism over its cocoa sourcing....
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Bonduelle to buy US produce group Ready Pac Foods
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea