EU: Commission clears acquisition of Unilever unit by ADM
The European Commission has approved the acquisition of UK-based Van den Bergh Oils (VDBO) by US agribusiness ADM.
VDBO, a division of Unilever Bestfoods UK, runs a seed oil refinery in Purfleet, Essex.
"The transaction broadens ADM's activities on the seed oil and bakery fat markets but no competition concerns arise as a result of the transaction," the Commission said in a statement.
"The Commission examined the impact of the acquisition on the markets for bulk refined seed oil, packed refined seed oils, and bakery fats. The Commission concluded that the operation will not lead to any competition concerns and has therefore decided not to oppose it.
"The fact that the parties held relatively high market shares for certain type of seed oils, namely sunflower seed oil and, to a less extent, rapeseed oil, doesn't affect this conclusion. The Commission investigation has shown that a significant level of import, and potential competition stemming from possibility to expand competitor's capacity would in any event act as a sufficient constraint," the Commission concluded.
The new health consciousness of consumers is believed to be one of the reasons for stagnant value growth of ice cream sales in Western Europe. But with new and unusual combinations of flavours, more p...
The Canadian Food Inspection Agency and Unilever are warning people with allergies not to consumer various Fleischmann's brand margarine products which may contain milk protein not listed on the label...
Agribusiness giant ADM has announced a series of senior management changes topped by the appointment of J Kevin Burgard as president-specialty food ingredients....
Anglo-Dutch food and consumer goods giant Unilever has reported rises in sales and net profit for the first quarter of 2005....
Retail group ADM Londis has reported a 71% jump in profits for last year to €2.7m (US$3.5m), according to the broadcaster RTE. Sales grew by 5% to €309m....
Unilever Bestfoods, part of Anglo-Dutch consumer goods giant Unilever, has just opened a European innovation centre for sauces and condiments in Dijon....
Unilever Bestfoods is talking to agencies about handling a relaunch of its Colman's mustard and sauce brand, according to trade magazine Marketing....
US ice cream maker Ben & Jerry's, owned by Anglo-Dutch consumer goods giant Unilever, has said it is introducing three new flavours of ice cream made with Fair Trade coffee....
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Analysis: Tyson's shrewd investment in Beyond Meat
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- Bel takes majority stake in MOM Group
- Mars launches Maltesers in the US
- Abbott sees international nutrition sales fall
- Metropoulos invests in Utz Quality Foods
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review