EU: Commission to promote EU food
The European Commission has said that it will part-finance ten programmes to promote agricultural products outside of the EU.
The Commission will stump up half the cash that will promote "quality" European wine, fruit, vegetables, meat, olive oil and organic products with PGI and PDO protection.
"EU quality products are second to none," said agriculture commissioner Mariann Fischer Boel, announcing the bloc's EUR11.1m (US$16.7m) investment.
"Increasing their visibility on markets outside the EU is a major priority. I see enormous sales potential on overseas markets, where people appreciate the history behind these high quality foodstuffs and wines. By investing in promotion and information campaigns for our products outside the EU, the European Union is showing its determination to take up this challenge."
The private sector will provide the other half of the promotional funds.
The European Commission today (12 April) formally launched a major review of the EU's Common Agricultural Policy (CAP) with a call for ideas on making food consumers more aware of the industry's impac...
The EU Council of Ministers has ruled that dairy manufacturers cannot use labels that claim that their products strengthen children's teeth....
Fish oil suppliers have rejected concerns over the safety of omega-3 supplements after a lawsuit was filed against manufacturers and retailers in California....
The new European Commission leadership is preparing a compromise on cultivating GM foodstuffs in the EU that might end Brussels' long political stand-off with anti-GM member states....
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- How General Mills plans to grow - CAGNY
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- CAGNY analysis: Danone's growth strategy
- Wessanen eyes growth in "resurgent" organic market
- Unilever launches operational review
- Kerry operating earnings strengthen on slow sales
- Glanbia focuses on nutrition with Irish dairy spin
- Kerry's Scanlon to replace McCarthy as CEO
- Mondelez launches savoury snacks brand Vea