UK: Compensation for Pig Farms
Farming leaders are meeting Agriculture Minister Nick Brown today to discuss compensation for pig farms hit by the swine fever outbreak.The European Union partially lifted its ban on the export of live English pigs and pig semen on 22 August. But animals from Norfolk, Suffolk and Essex remain subject to curbs following the outbreak in East Anglia at the start of the month.Mr Brown has pledged to help farmers directly hit by the outbreak ahead of his meeting with representatives of the NFU, National Pig Association and the Meat and Livestock Commission at the Ministry in London.Swine fever was first reported on five farms in East Anglia and although seven farms have since been cleared, tests remain to be completed on around 30 more.It is difficult for them to predict when the disease would eventually disappear from East Anglia as the incubation period could last up to 21 days.However, a decision to lift the ban for the whole of East Anglia could be made at the next EU veterinary meeting on 5 September.To find out more about Swine Fever
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Freedom Foods Group nears M&A in Oz, North America
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020