SOUTH AFRICA: Competition regulator raps Pioneer, BCP
South Africa's Competition Commission has found that seafood firms Pioneer Fishing and Blue Continent Products were involved in anti-competitive practices between 2008 and 2010.
The groups, which supply horse mackerel locally and for export, formed a "cartel" to divide the market for supply of horse mackerel by allocating territories and/or customers, the competition authority concluded. "The parties entered into a suite of agreements relating to the sale and supply of horse mackerel within certain markets, such as Limpopo, Mpumalanga and North West provinces," the Commission said.
The Commission referred the case to the Competition Tribunal with a recommendation that the enforcement body impose an administrative penalty not exceeding 10% of annual turnover of Pioneer. No administrative penalty is sought against BPC as it has been granted conditional leniency.
The Commission found that between 2008 to at least 2010, Pioneer and BCP agreed to divide the market for supply of horse mackerel by allocating territories and/or customers. The parties entered into a suite of agreements relating to the sale and supply of horse mackerel within certain markets, such as Limpopo, Mpumalanga and North West provinces.
"This referral is yet another confirmation of the correctness of our focus on food and agro processing, a sector that has a direct impact on consumers," said acting commissioner Tembinkosi Bonakele.
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis