SOUTH AFRICA: Competition regulator raps Pioneer, BCP
South Africa's Competition Commission has found that seafood firms Pioneer Fishing and Blue Continent Products were involved in anti-competitive practices between 2008 and 2010.
The groups, which supply horse mackerel locally and for export, formed a "cartel" to divide the market for supply of horse mackerel by allocating territories and/or customers, the competition authority concluded. "The parties entered into a suite of agreements relating to the sale and supply of horse mackerel within certain markets, such as Limpopo, Mpumalanga and North West provinces," the Commission said.
The Commission referred the case to the Competition Tribunal with a recommendation that the enforcement body impose an administrative penalty not exceeding 10% of annual turnover of Pioneer. No administrative penalty is sought against BPC as it has been granted conditional leniency.
The Commission found that between 2008 to at least 2010, Pioneer and BCP agreed to divide the market for supply of horse mackerel by allocating territories and/or customers. The parties entered into a suite of agreements relating to the sale and supply of horse mackerel within certain markets, such as Limpopo, Mpumalanga and North West provinces.
"This referral is yet another confirmation of the correctness of our focus on food and agro processing, a sector that has a direct impact on consumers," said acting commissioner Tembinkosi Bonakele.
- M&A Watch: Raisio should sell to private equity
- Infographic: Snapshot of Japan's food sector
- On the money: Solid Lindt outpaces chocolate peers
- Spotlight: What could be impact of Russia's ban?
- On the money: Hain expects continued organic gains
- Russian government eases ban on food imports
- Pork Farms buys Kerry Group's pastry plants
- Kerry cools claim spreads move could hit jobs
- Profits up at chocolate group Lindt
- Dr Oetker to buy McCain North America pizza arm
- New Strategies for offering Convenience in Food - targeting new occasions, best practice and new solutions
- David Chapman's Ice Cream Ltd in Packaged Food (Canada)
- Global Bakery & Cereals Market: Merger and Acquisitions May 2014
- Colombia - ISA Country Report
- Food Retail: Top 5 Emerging Markets Industry Guide