USA: ConAgra Chairman Provides Industry Perspective at National Nutrition Summit
Bruce Rohde, ConAgra chairman and chief executive officer, represented the food industry today at the National Nutrition Summit held in Washington, D.C. Speaking during a session entitled "Agenda for Action in the 21st Century," Rohde encouraged the nation to join the food industry in promoting healthy habits and healthy lifestyles.The industry leader noted that as a nation we have made significant progress in nutrition and health, yet we seem to have created a personal "energy crisis" in which we do not squander energy, but we do not expend enough of it. Rohde said, "Even though the food available to us is nutritious, we are expending too few of the calories we consume."In addition, he said that diet, physical activity and health are often viewed as independent issues. "Amazingly, some people exercise religiously, but pay little attention to the composition of their total diet. And for many of us, conflicting messages from experts and countless contradictory studies have made nutrition too complicated and caused the public to tune out."Rohde, chairman of the company that created the "Healthy Choice" brand 10 years ago, said, "It is obvious that a change is needed. We need to have a society that views nutrition, fitness and health collectively. We need to create a culture of health that encourages consumers to develop individual diet and exercise plans that will help prevent disease, promote lifelong vigor, maximize life span and enhance the quality of everyday living."ConAgra's chairman said that creating change will demand a concerted effort by many sectors -- that includes the food industry, the nutrition and fitness communities, organized medicine and public health, the communications industry and government.Specifically, he said that the food industry can:
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020