US: ConAgra, Trader Joe's sued for "antitrust violation"
ConAgra Foods denies antitrust allegations
Maxim Marketing Corporation has accused US food giant ConAgra Foods and local retailer Trader Joe's of breaking competition law and demanded damages of US$60m for the "destruction" of the group's peanut butter filled pocket pretzel business.
According to Maxim CEO Terry Kroll, the small California-based business had supplied Trader Joe's with peanut butter pocket pretzels for 25 years.
In 2013, the pretzel maker that supplied Maxim was bought out by ConAgra and subsequently cancelled its supply deal with the group. "Soon thereafter, ConAgra began selling the identical pretzels - down to the exact same bag - to Trader Joe's," Kroll said.
Maxim has filed a lawsuit with the Los Angeles County Superior Court for breach of contract, intentional interference with contractual relations and violation of California antitrust law.
"The lawsuit alleges that the actions of Trader Joe's and ConAgra breach a number of their obligations to Maxim and also violated California antitrust law, the Cartwright Act, which allows for treble damages and attorney's fees," Kroll said.
ConAgra insisted that the allegations contained in the lawsuit were groundless. "While we don't comment on pending litigation, we find this lawsuit to be without merit and intend to vigorously defend this litigation," a spokesperson for the company told just-food.
Trader Joe's was unavailable for comment at time of press.
ConAgra Foods Inc is looking to drive growth through the continued development of its private label portfolio and through product innovation. ConAgra is now the largest private label manufacturer in N...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Kids' Food and Beverages in US$ Million. The report provides separate comprehensive analytics for the US, Canada, Japan, Europe, Asia-Pacific, Latin Amer...
This report analyzes the worldwide markets for Meat (Fresh and Processed) in Thousand Metric Tons by the following Product Segments: Pork, Lamb & Goat, Beef & Veal, and Poultry. The report provides se...
The Global Soup market comprises of packaged soup that is manufactured and sold in liquid, dehydrated, instant, chilled, frozen, and UHT soup forms....
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019