UK: Consumer is the winner (Tesco)
Tesco Chief Executive, Terry Leahy, said;"The Secretary of State and the Commission are right that the industry is highly competitive and the consumer is the winner. That is certainly the Tesco experience.I am clearly very satisfied that after this unprecedented scrutiny of our industry the Competition Commission and Secretary of State have concluded that the industry is broadly competitive, that excessive prices are not being charged nor excessive profits earned. In particular I welcome the Secretary of State's conclusion that a competitive market is the best way of securing a good deal for customers, that the inquiry has found the industry to be competitive and that as a result he has accepted the Competition Commission's recommendations.At Tesco we have always maintained that the market is toughly competitive and that our customers have consistently benefited from this.The proposal that there should be a code of practice for relations between supermarkets and suppliers is one that I welcome. Indeed we have led the way in supporting a code of practice."
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016