AUSTRALIA: Consumers spend A$55bn on food, drink and groceries
Consumers spent A$55bn (US$28.9bn) on food, groceries and alcohol over the course of last year, according to figures released yesterday by the Australian Retailers Association.
Woolworths welcomed the figures, commenting that it was indicative of the fact that consumers were responding well to the firm's achievement of cutting costs by A$182m, and passing on to consumers savings of A$159m. The company also revealed yesterday that profits for the year had leapt nearly 18% to A$482m.
The ARA added that the figure of A$55bn actually accounts for 35% of all retail spending in Australia during 2000.
In the second part of this week's focus on the Australian food retail market, David Robertson looks at Woolworths' main rival, Coles Myer, which accounts for around 16% of all retail spending in Austr...
With 76% of Australia's food retail market, just two companies, Woolworths and Coles, dominate the region. In a two-part review, David Robertson looks at both supermarket chains. The first article wil...
Australian retailer Coles Myer has reported annual sales up 13.3% to A$36.6bn (US$28.1bn) and said it is considering selling its Myer department stories....
Supermarket chain Woolworths has today (Friday) announced a sharp rise in sales for the year to 26 June, bolstered by strengthening food and liquor sales and acquisitions....
Supermarket chain Coles Myer has agreed to support a food industry proposal to promote the benefits to consumers of buying Australian-grown produce, according to the Age newspaper....
Supermarket chain Woolworths Ltd has refused to comment on reports that it is considering the sale of its A$1bn (US$753m) chain of national distribution centres, according to the Australian Associated...
Retailer Foodland has announced a delay in documents needed to complete the process of its demerger and sale to Woolworths and Metcash....
A charter promoting fair competition between potential buyers of independent supermarkets has started, Australian Competition and Consumer Commission chairman, Graeme Samuel, has announced....
- It won't just be Unilever to push for Brexit hikes
- Price an underlying tension across European FMCG
- Interview: UK trade body on Brexit's policy impact
- Danone's Q3 sales - what the analysts say
- Interview: UK trade body on the impact of Brexit
- Nestle lowers outlook on "softer environment"
- PepsiCo sets 2025 nutrition, sustainability goals
- China "transition" drags on Danone Q3
- UK announces "action plan" to drive food exports
- CP Foods invests in UK foodservice firm Foodfellas
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Omega-3 in Food and Beverage:Time for a Reboot?
- Global Food Packaging: Innovating for Greater Convenience and Quality Image
- Packaged Food: Quarterly Statement Q3 2016
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review