PUERTO RICA: Controversial retail expansion plans
In an effort to protect local retailers, Puerto Rican authorities have traditionally limited the size of hypermarkets built there. In an apparent change of policy, building authorities recently granted a permit for the construction of a Wal-Mart Super Center at Cayey Plaza. The store will measure. 181,770 square feet and will be the largest of its kind in the area. It will contain a full food market, in addition to offering the wide range of personal and household items normally offered by that chain. The Puerto Rican retailers association and its attorney maintain that the Super Center will substantially reduce sales of small to medium size food and general retail stores in the area. In late September, retailers threatened legal action, arguing that the store far exceeds the average size of such establishments there, which runs to about 100,000 square feet. They maintain that the approved plan for Cayey Plaza measures 250,200 square feet, but the addition will bring its total size to nearly 492,000 square feet. The attorney for the retailers association maintains that approval of the expansion was illegal because the local citizens and the municipality of Cayay were not consulted.SOURCE: includes information from the article "Polemic por Wal-Mart Cayey", El Nuevo Dia (20 September, 2000).
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 16 years of archives.
I am so confident you will love complete access to our content that today I can offer you 30 days access for $1.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Nestle invests in Italian pizza production
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Chocolate (Confectionery) Market in Belgium - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020