FRANCE: Coopagri calls 2008 "atypical" as profits dip
Groupe Coopagri Bretagne, the French food co-operative, has called 2008 an "atypical year" after posting a fall in annual profits of more than 10%.
The company, which has interests in cereals, dairy, meat and vegetables, booked a 10.6% fall in net profit to EUR10.9m (US$15.2m).
Coopagri said its dairy and cereal businesses were "in deficit" for the year.
However, the co-operative reported a 12% rise in turnover with sales reaching EUR1.95bn.
"The increase in turnover was due to rising prices for raw materials and products of intermediate consumption such as fertilizers," Coopagri said.
In the last 12 months, Coopagri has teamed up with a number of food industry players to boost its presence in the European food sector.
In January, Coopagri merged its milk production operations with two other French co-operatives - Even and Terrena. The combined business will be France's fifth-biggest milk processor.
Last September, Coopagri announced plans to combine its frozen vegetable business with Bonduelle.
Last August, Coopagri meat processing business Socopa was bought by beef processor Bigard for an undisclosed sum.
The French vegetable group Bonduelle is tightening its focus on its core business with the sale of the Rijkevorsel fruit and pickles factory....
French vegetable group Bonduelle today (5 November) reaffirmed its full-year outlook as it posted a 4% jump in first quarter sales....
French vegetable group Bonduelle posted a drop in full-year earnings today (7 October), despite a slight increase in group sales....
- General Mills sales woes continue - analysis
- Comment: Meal kits in US - don't believe the hype
- Why personalisation will take-off in US food
- US food next wave on display at Winter Fancy Food
- Analysis: Chocolate sector's deforestation pledge
- UK own-label firm Park Cakes sold in MBO
- Kraft Heinz cuts jobs in US, Canada
- Immigration crackdown "risk" for US dairy industry
- Fonterra cuts earnings forecast
- Unilever invests in Dutch meat substitute project