UK: Corn price hike prompts ADM Milling to up flour price
ADM has upped the price of its flour by GBP75 per tonne
Poor UK weather and record corn prices resulting from a severe drought in the US has prompted ADM Milling to increase the price of its flour.
In a statement today (2 August), a spokesperson for the UK arm of commodities giant ADM said it has upped the price of its flour by GBP75 (US$116.6m) per tonne.
A 16kg bag of its flour will now cost bakers GBP1.20 more from 30 July, it said, as "record" rainfall in the UK, and drought in the US has caused world wheat prices to rocket.
Drought conditions have continued to move across around two-thirds of the US where extreme weather conditions have caused corn prices to spike. The US Department of Agriculture has warned the drought will reduce corn yields this year, prompting fears of a spike in prices of the commodity and pressure on feed costs.
The spokesperson for ADM Milling added: "Whilst weather in [the] UK has improved over the past few days, the record rainfall in June/July has delayed the domestic harvest by up to three weeks and has also brought about concerns over quality and yield. This, coupled with a severe drought in the US and the Black Sea region of Europe, has given rise to a significant increase in world wheat prices.
"Consequently, it has become necessary for ADM to increase the price of our flours."
US agribusiness Archer Daniels Midland has sold its stake in Gruma back to the Mexican group....
Australian agribusiness giant GrainCorp has rejected Archer Daniels Midland's latest takeover bid for the company....
Archer Daniels Midland has increased its takeover for Australian rival GrainCorp, which has so far rejected the US agribusiness giant's interest....
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Indonesia – How ice cream makers can drive volumes
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- Mondelez 'preparing to sell European cheese unit'
- China implements new safety regulations
- Unilever acquires Italian gelato group Grom
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019