US: Costco Q1 profits climb
- Net profit up 30%
- Operating profit climbs to $639m
- Net sales grow 9.4%
Costco said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year
US wholesale retailer Costco has booked an increase in profit in the first quarter of the year.
Earnings in the three months to 25 November amounted to US$416m, a 30% increase on the prior year period. Last year's net income was negatively impacted by a $12m charge related to settlement of an income tax audit of the company's Mexico operation and a $17m charge related to contributions to an initiative reforming alcoholic beverage laws in Washington State.
Operating profit amounted to $639m versus $543m last year, while net sales climbed 9.4% to $23.2m
The group said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year. It currently operates 621 warehouses.
In the US and Canada, retailers Costco, Casey's General Stores and Sobeys have reported quarterly results....
- How Danone aims to meet its 2020 objectives
- What could influence US healthy snacking market?
- Will Belvita win at breakfast in China? - analysis
- Greencore's food-to-go focus paying dividends
- Interview: How American Halal rides ethical wave
- Pinnacle to buy Boulder Brands in $975m deal
- PepsiCo trims staff amid marketing cuts talk
- Genius Foods buys UK gluten-free firm Chapel Foods
- US FDA approves genetically engineered salmon
- Nestle combats Thai seafood supply forced labour