US: Costco Q1 profits climb
- Net profit up 30%
- Operating profit climbs to $639m
- Net sales grow 9.4%
Costco said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year
US wholesale retailer Costco has booked an increase in profit in the first quarter of the year.
Earnings in the three months to 25 November amounted to US$416m, a 30% increase on the prior year period. Last year's net income was negatively impacted by a $12m charge related to settlement of an income tax audit of the company's Mexico operation and a $17m charge related to contributions to an initiative reforming alcoholic beverage laws in Washington State.
Operating profit amounted to $639m versus $543m last year, while net sales climbed 9.4% to $23.2m
The group said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year. It currently operates 621 warehouses.
In the US and Canada, retailers Costco, Casey's General Stores and Sobeys have reported quarterly results....
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Mitsubishi buys stake in Olam International
- Unilever claims victory in Becel dispute
- KitKat to go sustainably sourced cocoa only
- Arla strikes JVs in Nigeria and Senegal
- Arla H1 profits down on milk price slump
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Biscuit Manufacturers (UK) - Industry Report
- The Coca-Cola Company : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis
- Cakes, Pastries & Sweet Pies Market in Egypt: Market Profile to 2017