US: Costco Q1 profits climb
- Net profit up 30%
- Operating profit climbs to $639m
- Net sales grow 9.4%
Costco said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year
US wholesale retailer Costco has booked an increase in profit in the first quarter of the year.
Earnings in the three months to 25 November amounted to US$416m, a 30% increase on the prior year period. Last year's net income was negatively impacted by a $12m charge related to settlement of an income tax audit of the company's Mexico operation and a $17m charge related to contributions to an initiative reforming alcoholic beverage laws in Washington State.
Operating profit amounted to $639m versus $543m last year, while net sales climbed 9.4% to $23.2m
The group said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year. It currently operates 621 warehouses.
In the US and Canada, retailers Costco, Casey's General Stores and Sobeys have reported quarterly results....
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- What next for Bernard Matthews? - comment
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- Ireland unveils national plan to tackle obesity
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Constellation Brands, Inc. (STZ) - Financial and Strategic SWOT Analysis Review
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities