US: Costco Q1 profits climb
- Net profit up 30%
- Operating profit climbs to $639m
- Net sales grow 9.4%
Costco said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year
US wholesale retailer Costco has booked an increase in profit in the first quarter of the year.
Earnings in the three months to 25 November amounted to US$416m, a 30% increase on the prior year period. Last year's net income was negatively impacted by a $12m charge related to settlement of an income tax audit of the company's Mexico operation and a $17m charge related to contributions to an initiative reforming alcoholic beverage laws in Washington State.
Operating profit amounted to $639m versus $543m last year, while net sales climbed 9.4% to $23.2m
The group said it plans to open a new warehouse before the end of the calendar year. It currently operates 621 warehouses.
In 2012, Costco continued to expand both domestically and internationally, increasing its US store base by 2% and its international store base by 10%. Given the company’s reliance on its warehouses ov...
In the US and Canada, retailers Costco, Casey's General Stores and Sobeys have reported quarterly results....
Costco President Taiwan will keep its strategic direction in outlet expansion in order to strengthen its foothold within Taiwan. The company will focus on the secondary cities for new outlets to enlar...
- General Mills US "priority" categories gain share
- The just-food interview: Doux CEO Arnaud Marion
- Focus: Danone CEO Faber puts stamp on business
- Interview part 2: BRF CFO Augusto Ribeiro
- Cleaning up Tesco will have mixed supplier impact
- General Mills outlines "aggressive" NPD drive
- Coles supplier payments broke competition law
- Kraft to reappraise business, says new CEO Cahill
- General Mills earnings drop one-third
- PepsiCo opens snacks plant in Saudi Arabia