US: Costs hit food-focused Lancaster Colony
US consumer group Lancaster Colony has seen annual profits slide on the back of mounting costs and a loss from the sale of its automotive operations.
The company, which makes foods including salad dressings and pies, booked underlying operating profit of $64.9m for the 12 months to the end of June. That compared to profit of $84.4m a year earlier.
Net sales inched up 2% to $1.1bn thanks to rising speciality food sales, the company said.
Chairman and CEO John Gerlach, Jr. said the company had spent the last year reshaping the business to focus more on food.
He added: "Our food group faced sharply escalating raw-material costs, while certain retail pricing increases were implemented after July 1. Our review of strategic alternatives for non-food businesses continued as we divested additional automotive operations and moved forward with the process of closing our industrial glass operation."
Gerlach said prices rises among its speciality food brands should help offset rising raw material costs, while the company's acquisition of the Marshall biscuit business gave it "exciting product development opportunities".
Companies: Lancaster Colony
US speciality food firm Lancaster Colony has announced a fall in second-quarter profit, despite rising sales....
US speciality food firm Lancaster Colony has named Abercrombie & Fitch Co. director as its lead independent director....
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Chobani COO Burns to leave yogurt firm
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report