AUSTRALIA: Councils may not ban GM crops
Paul Lucas, Minister for Innovation and Information Economy in the Queensland State Government, said yesterday [Thursday] that he had no plans to change State laws to enable councils to legally enforce GM-free zones.
Premier Peter Beattie and local government minister Nita Cunningham's office also issued statements denying plans to change the rules. Nevertheless, a number of shires have declared themselves GM-free.
Beattie encouraged any council seeking to keep its regions free of GM technology to ask local farmers voluntarily to ban modified crops on their land.
Lucal reiterated that it was not the role of the government to tell farmers how they should farm their land.
Companies: Premier Foods plc
Faith in the health benefits of a 'Mediterranean' diet have made olive oil fashionable, but the health advantages of rapeseed oil are lost on most consumers. It's actually one of the healthiest of fat...
Australian agriculture minister Warren Truss has called on state and territory governments to end their moratoria on the cultivation of GM crops if they are at all serious about making their jurisdict...
The Brazilian port of Paranagua stepped up its ban on exports of genetically modified soybeans in May, despite a Supreme Court ruling in April that the port must ship the GM beans, the Dow Jones news ...
Food company Premier Foods has today (Monday) announced that it has agreed to buy Marlow Foods, the owner of meat alternative brand Quorn, from Montagu Private Equity for £172m (US$312m)....
The European Food Safety Authority has declared that genetically modified maize strain Bt11 maize, genetically modified to resist certain butterfly and moth pests, and containing a tolerance to the h...
Two-thirds of Russians are unwilling to eat food containing genetically modified ingredients, according to a poll conducted by the All-Russia Public Opinion Research Center (VTsIOM) and reported by th...
The European Commission has asked the European Union Council of Ministers to take action against five national bans on genetically modified products, that Brussels considers illegal under EU law....
Genetically modified soybeans could hold the key to cure hair loss, say a team of top researchers at Japan's Kyoto University....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report