JAPAN: Court hearing bought by Snow Brand food-poisoning victim
A mediation hearing is due to begin in the Osaka Summary Court this month over the charges bought to Snow Brand Milk Products by a victim of the mass food poisoning that occurred during late June.The thirty-year-old woman is the first reported victim to bring a legal case to the troubled dairy produce company, and she is demanding compensation and the payment of medical costs totalling ¥400,000. So far, the company has offered an out-of-court settlement for compensation valued at only ¥100,000 and they also agreed to pay her medical costs.It was revealed yesterday (5 October) that the woman is alleged to have suffered from acute enteritis after having drunk contaminated milk that had been produced by the company. The milk contained the toxin Enterotoxin A, which can be produced by the staphylococcus aureus bacteria. She was hospitalised for four days and reports state that she had to visit the hospital twice as an outpatient.
Get full access to all content, just $1 for 30 days
A Message From The Editor
just-food gives you the widest food market coverage.
Paid just-food members have unlimited access to all our exclusive content - including 17 years of archives.
It’s our best ever membership offer – just for you.
Dean Best, editor of just-food
- 2017: three major drivers of M&A strategy
- just-food 2017 Survey - your thoughts on growth
- Food market in 2017: need-to-know US trends
- 2017 - what will shape the UK food sector?
- Could BRF's Turkey move pave way for OneFoods IPO?
- Premier Foods issues profit warning
- UK's Bakkavor plays down IPO "speculation"
- Ferrero insists Nutella not pulled from shelves
- Lindt sees FY sales acceleration on Europe growth
- Unilever sets packaging target