US: Court reinstates Dean Foods antitrust trial
Dean Foods antitrust case to return to court
A court of appeals has reinstated antitrust proceedings being brought against Dean Foods by a consortium of retailers, overturning an earlier ruling that had dismissed the case.
The retailers, led by Food Lion, argued Dean Foods conspired with National Dairy Holdings to restrict competition for bottled milk sales in the south eastern US.
National Dairy Holdings was created when Dean Foods sold off certain assets to secure competition approval for its 2001 merger with Suiza Foods Corp. The class action alleged the two groups entered into a conspiracy not to compete in states in the south east of the country.
In an initial ruling, a Tennessee district court found the retailers could not establish proof of their injuries or geographic market, even though they had successfully established the two firms had formed a conspiracy.
"The district court found enough evidence of a conspiracy," the high court noted. "The district court's opinion is reversed, and this case is remanded for further proceedings," it concluded.
In its judgement, the court remanded the case to the Eastern District of Tennessee.
A spokesperson for Dean Foods told just-food the firm was "disappointed" at the ruling.
"The trial court had dismissed the action in its entirety, ordered that the plaintiffs recover nothing, and ordered that Dean Foods and the other defendants recover costs from the plaintiffs. We remain confident that we have operated lawfully and fairly at all times in the south east," the company said.
- Interview: Mondelez eyes sweet success in China
- The benefits of engaging staff in sustainability
- How food companies involve staff in sustainability
- Why Danone is withdrawing Dumex from Vietnam
- Why May's Brexit comments give reason for optimism
- 2 Sisters chief Boparan buys Bernard Matthews
- Fonterra says value-added strategy paying off
- B&G Foods acquires ABF's US spice business
- General Mills profit falls as sales disappoint
- Bernard Matthews pensions scheme under review
- The Big 15: Strategies and Priorities of Top Packaged Food Players in Comparison
- Global Chocolate Confectionery Overview: Challenges, Opportunities and Risks
- Global Foodservice Market 2016-2020
- Global Food and Drinks Closures: Performance and Opportunities
- Fast Food Restaurants in the US - Industry Market Research Report