UK: Dairy Crest eyes formula with Fonterra, Fayrefield Foods
Fayrefield FD John Beech, Fonterra CEO Theo Spierings and Dairy Crest CEO Mark Allen
Dairy Crest's deal with Fonterra will see the New Zealand dairy giant sell the demineralised whey powder made at the UK firm's site in Davidstow in Cornwall.
The company is also spending GBP20m at Davidstow to produce galacto-oligosaccharide, a lactose-based prebiotic used in infant formula. UK-based dairy firm Fayrefield Foods will supply an enzyme used in the ingredient and "other intellectual property". Fonterra will provide the lactose and market the prebiotic.
Commercial production of the whey powder is expected to begin "early" in Dairy Crest's 2015/16 financial year. Dairy Crest will start manufacturing the galacto-oligosaccharide later that year.
Mark Allen, Dairy Crest's chief executive, said the deals gave the owner of UK brands including Frijj milkshake and Country Life butter "exposure to global growth opportunities".
"Demineralised whey powder and GOS form an important part of Dairy Crest’s strategy to grow added value sales," he said.
In 2013 Fonterra Brands (NZ) Ltd announced that all of its ice cream products would be made with natural ingredients and free from palm oil by December 2014. This reformulation project, which was unde...
- Rabobank's early view on Brexit impact on food
- New food waste standard will help monitor progress
- Kellogg uses Kashi to finally join party - comment
- Tyrrells' growth plans - CEO interview, part two
- How could a TTIP affect the food industry?
- Brexit – Live reaction from food industry
- Kellogg to invest in "next-generation innovation"
- Post, ConAgra 'held talks' over Lamb Weston merger
- Mars takes UK chocolate brands into trail mixes
- ACCC slams Heinz for 'unhealthy' kids range
- Top Trends in Snacks, Confectionery, and Desserts; Exploring consumer and innovation trends in key categories
- Frozen Bakery Products Market by Type, Distribution Channel, & by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020
- Singapore Food and Drink Report Q3 2016
- Fast Food in India
- Country Analysis Report: Saudi Arabia, In-depth PESTLE Insights