UK: Dairy Crest finds suitable M&A targets hard to find
Dairy Crest unable to find right M&A targets
UK firm Dairy Crest, which last year sold off its French business in a bid to fund acquisitions in its home market, today (7 February) hinted it was struggling to find worthy targets.
Last summer, Dairy Crest offloaded French unit St Hubert for EUR430m (US$583.4m) and said it would use the cash to snap up assets in the UK.
However, the Country Life butter owner has not been able to find the right business in the UK to buy.
"Our aim in deploying the cash from the transaction is to make targeted acquisitions. We are determined that any acquisition must deliver strong returns for shareholders but, to date, we have not identified any such acquisition," Dairy Crest said today. In the short term, the company plans to use the St Hubert cash to improve its balance sheet and help pay its pension fund.
The admission came as Dairy Crest reported slowing sales from its four key brands in the three months to the end of December, its third quarter. In the first nine months of the year, branded sales increased 5%.
However, Dairy Crest said it expects a "mid-single digit" increase in sales from the brands, which also include Cathedral City cheese, over the year.
Panmure Gordon analyst Damian McNeela said he was "slightly disappointed" at Dairy Crest's difficulty in finding acquisitions. He added the company's sales were "below expectations".
Dairy Crest shares were down 2.72% at 410.5p at 12:01 GMT this afternoon.
Adams Foods has moved its Mu cheese brand into the milkshake category with a launch in Tesco....
Campbell Soup Co. became the third major multinational to invest in the buoyant organic baby food sector in a month with a deal to buy US firm Plum Organics. Danone is another of the three food giants...
- How brands are eyeing their own retail presence
- Why Lactalis could move for Dairy Crest
- Who could swoop for Diamond Foods?
- Foodservice focus - all-day breakfast; concept NPD
- The consistent inconsistency of European promos
- Nestle, R&R Ice Cream in joint venture talks
- How the food industry is reacting to TPP
- China implements new safety regulations
- Aldi reformulates US private-label lines
- Premier Foods adds to Bisto range
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Global Savory Snacks Market: Merger and Acquisitions August 2015
- Food and Beverage Coding and Marking Equipment: Market Outlook 2015-2019
- E-Grocery Market in India - Market Research 2015-2019
- Danone SA : Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile, SWOT & Financial Analysis