CANADA: Dairy giant Saputo looks to quit Europe
Saputo says Europe has proved "challenging"
Canadian dairy group Saputo looks set to quit Europe after deciding to close plants in the UK and Germany.
Saputo said today (25 February) it did not have the "critical mass" for its European operations to be profitable.
It announced the closure of its cheese plant in the German town of Heiden that supplies the country's retailers. Saputo also plans to close a plant in Newcastle Emlyn in Wales that supplies mozzarella to foodservice customers. The closure of the UK site is subject to consultation with staff.
Saputo acquired the facilities in 2006 and 2007 but said it had found its investment in Europe "challenging".
"Today, the Saputo European business does not have sufficient critical mass to be profitable and the Company does not see short to mid-term opportunities to ensure such profitability," the company said.
Europe accounts for a small proportion of Saputo's business. It does not provide specific financial data for Europe. However, in the year to the end of March 2012, its last full fiscal year, Saputo said its Argentinian and European businesses made revenue of C$507.3m (US$494.5m) - out of turnover of C$6.93bn.
Click here for the full release on the planned closures.
- What US companies might Nomad Foods buy?
- Challenges for General Mills with The Good Table
- Why investors are concerned about water risk
- Competition intensifies among UK burger chains
- Greek crisis - The impact on shopper behaviour
- Just Mayo under fire from US FDA after complaint
- B&G Foods "front-runner for Green Giant"
- FrieslandCampina H1 earnings up despite flat sales
- Brownes Dairy "attracts eight suitors"
- General Mills to work on artificial ingredients
- Management briefing: just-food’s industry outlook for 2015
- Food Flavourings & Colourings (UK) - Industry Report
- Nestle USA, Inc.: Consumer Packaged Goods - Company Profile & SWOT Analysis
- Bakery Market in Japan: Forecast, and Market Analysis 2015-2019
- Probiotic Ingredients Market by Function, Application, End Use, Ingredient, and by Region - Global Trends & Forecast to 2020