FRANCE: Danone announces Thai deal
Groupe Danone has entered Thailand's fresh dairy market through a strategic partnership with Dutch Mill.
The companies have announced the creation of a business producing fresh dairy products in the country, called Danone Dairy Thailand.
Thai-owned Dutch Mill is one of the nation's largest manufacturers of high-quality dairy products, serving local and international consumers.
Danone VP for fresh dairy products Bernard Hours said: "Groupe Danone wants to quickly develop Danone brand in countries where it is not present yet, and in this context, Thailand is a high potential market. This partnership, which we are very proud of, will allow Groupe Danone to benefit from the market knowledge of Dutch Mill and its distribution channels in the region."
According to the French dairy firm, the Thai market offers promising scope for growth, with an average per capita consumption of 4 kilos per year and a high interest shown by urban consumers in the health benefits of dairy products.
Dutch Mill chief operating officer Yol Phokasub said: "We are delighted to team up with Groupe Danone since we have a tremendous opportunity to provide innovative dairy products to the Thai consumers. Thanks to Danone's technical and R&D capabilities, we expect to shorten the time-to-market for value added products and thus contribute positively to improve the Thai dairy industry."
For fresh dairy products, Danone holds number one market positions in 20 countries worldwide, including the US, UK and France.
It has been quite a week for French food giant Groupe Danone. An offer for Dutch nutrition group Royal Numico came just days after it agreed to sell its biscuits and cereals business to Kraft. In betw...
French own-label fresh pizza maker Delistar has closed its manufacturing site in Seclin, near Lille, northern France....
Kraft Foods has refused to be drawn on claims in the US that the company could consider selling its cheese business. The US food giant stayed tight-lipped after a report quoted sources close to the bu...
Dutch share watchdog AFM is investigating possible insider trading ahead of Danone's announcement that it would bid for Royal Numico....
Groupe Danone chief Franck Riboud has said a successful takeover of Dutch nutrition group Royal Numico would create the "most powerful" health food company in the world....
Groupe Danone has refused to comment on reports claiming that PepsiCo remains interested in buying the French food company....
France's Prime Minister said today (4 July) that he has no qualms with Groupe Danone selling its biscuits business to US giant Kraft Foods....
Groupe Danone has opened exclusive talks with Kraft Foods over the sale of the French company's biscuits and cereal division....
- The key questions for digital strategists in 2017
- Unilever 2016 investor day - the top takeaways
- Wessanen's move for Spain's Biogran - analysis
- Whole Foods, Aldi, M&S - retail round-up, Nov 2016
- Burger King, Jollibee: foodservice focus, Nov 2016
- General Mills jobs to go in business revamp
- Verlinvest, China Resources invest in Oatly
- Hain Celestial appoints Nestle executive as US COO
- Tyson sets up US$150m investment fund
- B&G acquires pasta sauce group Victoria Fine Foods
- Confectionery North America (NAFTA) Industry Guide_2016
- How Brands Are Making Our Food Healthier
- Processed Snacks (Savory Snacks) Market in the United States - Outlook to 2020: Market Size, Growth and Forecast Analytics
- Global Dried Processed Food Market 2016-2020
- Frozen Food Production in the US - Industry Market Research Report